Tell us your story!<br>
¡Dinos tu historia!

Moderator: Moderators

Celtica
asturias_and_me:

Hello From Florida: Erik Acuña

Post by Celtica »

Hi,

My name is Erik Acuña and I am of Asturian & Basque heritage. I came across this forum by chance while looking up Asturian pictures on google. I think it's pretty cool that there is a forum for Asturian-Americans to connect and discuss various issues pertaining to our shared ancestry.

I look forward to contributing to some of the discussions on here.

-Erik
is
asturias_and_me:

Post by is »

Bienl.legau al foru, Erik. I think you'll find the conversational threads here interesting. Your double Basque and Asturian heritage makes your inputs unique and I'm sure will be appreciated.

I was also surprised to find a site that covered Asturian culture so broadly and looked at things from an American (or Asturian-American) angle, as opposed to something more mainstream and tending toward topicalities.

Feel free to contribute in English, Asturian or Castilian Spanish, although more people will read your posts if you translate your own posts as you submit them.
Mouguias
asturias_and_me:

Post by Mouguias »

Hi, Erik, just read your insightful and articulated post on the Celtic issue. Welcome and please, don`t miss the "Folklore" section, I think you will find many threads interesting.
Celtica
asturias_and_me:

Post by Celtica »

Thank you for the welcome guys. I'll definitely give all the sub-forums a gander. Thus far I have come across a multitude of very interesting topics. I really can't stress enough how refreshing a forum this is.

Being of Iberian heritage here in the United States is a relatively rare thing. There are a few 'hot spots' where one can come across a good number of fellow Iberians - the Basques in Boise, Idaho and the Portuguese thinly spread around across the north-east, immediately spring to mind. Incidentally, my wife is of Portuguese heritage, though her interest in such is not exactly what I would call zealous. I also knew quite a few Ibero-Cubans down in South Florida. I have even come across a number of Ibero-Argentines & Venezuelans lately here in Northern Florida. Even more rare, I met a woman who came directly from Galicia not too long ago. However, finding Iberians of Asturian heritage is even more difficult. So to admins & moderators, good job and keep up the exceptional work.

To give a little more on my background, the Asturian side of my family hail from Xixón & Oviedo. I still have some family residing there (the children of former Civil War refugees who had been previously residing in France). I have always longed to visit them, but have not had the opportunity yet. I am making plans to visit with my family soon though.

Unfortunately, I am relatively "Americanized", in that I have not been fluent in any form of Spanish since the age of 9 (precisely the time that my grandmother stopped babysitting). My parents had there own strange reservations about raising bilingual children. Make of that what you will.

Return to “Introduction of Members - Presentación de miembros”